The cover of this issue features a quilt called Geese in the Mountain Garden, and was made by Barbara E. Lies. I love the pink and green colorway, and I really can't get enough of those swirly applique flying geese, called Goose Blossoms.
Lucky for me, they offer the pattern for a Goose Blossom in the article. I decided it was just the thing for the March quilt. I copied it on to four sheets of foundation paper and started pulling scraps.
These are the ones that made the first and second cut. The scrap sorting portion of making these monthly quilts is a big part of the process. It has been especially difficult with the March quilt, because I'm just not as comfortable working with green as I was with the red in the February quilt.
Naturally, Maggie has a part in the process. Or so she assumes.
So I made four of these all at once to avoid the one-sock syndrome so common among knitters (you get one sock done and you're too bored with it to make another just like it). I am pretty happy with the color gradation. The yellows and oranges I pulled just didn't fit the scheme of it.
And this is where the four Goose Blossoms will go as part of the March quilt. I am also thinking of large, wavy Flying Geese borders at the top and bottom to balance it and give it length. We shall see...
No comments:
Post a Comment