Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Bonnie Hunter Workshop

First, let me say that I had so much fun at Bonnie Hunter's class on Saturday. We chatted, we sewed, we psycho-analyzed. It was a grand old time. I am proud to say that Bonnie Hunter has used my sewing machine and even made 1 whole block of my quilt as a demonstration for the class. I was awestruck. Awestruck enough that I reacted pretty well when she decided I was nuts.


This is my pincushion. My mom gave it to me. And while the pincushion is very lovely, apparently most quilters do not store their pins in groups of color. This fact was brought to my attention after Bonnie, having observed my neat little piles of counted squares, seized said pincushion during class and said, "Oh my god, look how she keeps her pins," and then brought it around to show people.

Later, Bonnie was kind enough to replace the all-too-used term "anal-retentive" with the much more pleasant "control-oriented." Still, I was kind of embarassed. I seriously thought that was just how pins should be stored. I even made the mistake of telling the story of how I used to rearrange my mother's pins in order of color when I was a little girl. Apparently this is crazy person behavior. I forgot to mention that I also used to make shapes and faces using the different colors of pins - I'm sure this would have swayed public opinion of my sanity.


But here is a sample of the quilt! Today I finished all the blocks. Now I just have to arrange them into a seemingly random scrappy look and sew them into a nice little lap quilt.

Most of the rest of my day was spent on my Super Secret Squirrel project, to be revealed not too long from now, and then I worked on the "sprays" for either side of the Goose Blossoms in the March quilt.


Deadline for total quilt completion: April 7th. That's the binding on the February quilt (3/4 done), the entire March quilt (acres to go), and the Star Struck quilt, for which I am still fumbling for a name. Think I can do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...