Today began with processing some retirement paperwork for a man whose doctor told him he had to retire for his health. By lunch he was back in the hospital. Diabetes and congestive heart failure. The thing that got me was that he had no one to visit him. He isn't married, not close with his surviving family. He has nothing but work. I don't know him that well, and would have felt weird visiting him, but there was a good chance, a very good chance, that he would only be receiving visitors from work. There was also a very good chance that his paperwork would not be processed in time for him to see it.
He is 54. Same age as my dad.
Tonight I am sorry that I'm not a praying woman. Tonight I'm glad that my father has someone to take care of him, and that he takes good care of himself.
Most of all I'm glad that I have someone to take good care of, and who takes good care of me. If you, unlike me, are the praying type, please include this poor man. He breaks my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment