Tonight I made M-4, Stepping Stones (44 pieces). The entire thing was done with paper piecing, and looking at this photo I need to remind myself to use black thread on these red and black ones. I can see some of those stitches coming through, and I'm none too pleased with it. Still, it was a very intricate block and I'm very happy with the outcome.
21:2:0:339
Now, to my Spoonflower adventure:
A few blocks into my Dear Jane, I decided to keep a postage stamp collage of the focus fabrics I'd used in each block, pictured above. Unfortunately, since I'd already completed several, I didn't have two of the necessary fabrics (represented by question marks above). The reds in C-2 and D-13 had been used up completely!
I thought I'd try and hunt around in a few stores to see if I could find them, but with no luck. I had heard about Spoonflower, a custom fabric printing business, and thought I'd give it a go. I uploaded photos of my fabric (maybe I should have scanned instead?) and ordered 8" swatches for $5 a piece. I'm sure this violates someone's copyright and the Spoonflower code of conduct, but they're 8" swatches for goodness sake.
They didn't really turn out, as you can see. I don't think I'll use them in the collage - so here's where I plead with you, the random reader, have you seen these fabrics? Should I stick them on a milk carton? I only need a 1" square of each!
My next step will be trying to photocopy the blocks onto some of those fabric sheets that work with your printer. I thought it would be a fun way to look at the project from a different angle, but I'll be sad if it's incomplete.
No comments:
Post a Comment